We think this recipe perfectly shows just how versatile and delicious Moringa can be! Whilst treating yourself to desserts and puddings, there’s no need to compromise on nutritional value. This Moringa Key Lime Pie have just the thing to meet your sweet tooth, with a kick of zest lime and a nutty crust.
And we absolutely love how vibrant and they look!
Moringa Key Lime Pie
Like our Moringa Pancakes, this recipe is split into two: For the crust, and the topping.
Note: The filling will require preparation time before it can be made. Soak 1 1/2 cups of cashew nuts for no less than 2 hours before using. You could also leave them overnight.
For the pie crust, you will need:
- 2 cups of nuts. We’d recommend Brazil nuts, but a mixture of walnut, Brazil and pistachios works well too
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup medjool dates
Then, for the Key Lime filling, you’re going to need:
- 2 tps Moringa powder
- 1 1/2 cups soaked cashews
- 1 avocado
- 3 limes, squeezed (just the juice)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/3 cup raw honey/maple syrup/agave
For the crust:
- Blend your chosen mixture of nuts until they create a fine crumb. This will take a strong food processor, so bash the nuts in a bag beforehand to break them up. This should make them easier to blend.
- Next, add the additional ingredients into the mix until it forms a dough with a fudge-like consistency.
- Dollop the mixture into a spring-form cake tin. If you want to make mini pies, use bun cases in a cupcake tray. Push the mixture down into the tin and make sure the whole base is covered and flat.
Next, for the Moringa Key Lime Pie filling – which is super easy in 2 steps:
- Whisk or blend all the ingredients together. (Again, it may help to bash the cashews into smaller parts first)
- Pour it all onto the base in the cake tin and spread around until you’re happy it’s all covered. Then but the tray into the refrigerator to allow the filling to set.
If you choose to store the tarts in the freezer, you’ll need to allow 10-15 minutes to leave them to thaw before you can enjoy!
So there you have it, Moringa Key Lime Pie! Yet another delicious dessert packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
This mixture will make one pie, or, if you have used bun cases, you should be able to serve 4-5 tarts. It’s important to remember that these recipes are fun, delicious and easy, but are still giving you all the nutrients you need – so it’s a great way to get the kids involved and aware of their healthy eating.
Alternatively, keep these little treats all to yourself, but be sure to proudly share photos or enhancements you’ve added with us so we can have a look at all your creations!